Mock Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools?

+6
Nur Firdaus
Yogeswaran
Celeste Ng
JaimeWah
wong wei ting
Admin
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools?

Post  Admin Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 am

Dear students of 27E,

Please make at least one post stating whether you support or do not support abolishing examinations in schools.

Your post must contain:
- Your name;
- AT LEAST ONE main idea or a rebuttal;
- ELABORATION of the main idea or rebuttal with explanations and/or supporting evidence; and
- LINK you main idea back to the TOPIC "Should examinations be Abolished in Schools?"

You are encouraged to respond to your friends' posts, either agreeing with them or rebutting their ideas.

Remember - DO NOT be rude to one another, mind your language, and DO NOT get personal in your posts.

Admin
Admin

https://27riversidesec.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should Examinations Be Abolished In Schools?

Post  kares(6) Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi, i am kares here.
About whether Examinations should be abolished in schools, i personally feel that we should not abolished examinations. Examinations has been practice over the years in all the schools, which includes primary and secondary schools, Junior College and even up to University, examinations are used in schools. So, firstly, with examinations in schools, students are able to know how much they learn during daily lessons, and to improve on themselves. They can learn from their mistakes and to remember to never make it again. Secondly, with examinations, students are able to learn to be responsible as they are the ones taking the examinations, and whether or not they score well depends on them. Thirdly,can everybody think about it, without examinations, students are unable to earn the certificates which will prove that they have graduated and will be unable to get a job in the future. Lastly, I know that some of us think that examinations are very stressful as we have to keep studying and sometimes, we cannot even score well and would worry about not being able to study well. But, school is a place for us to learn, without examinations, students would not know how much they have abosrbed or learn in the lessons and would therefore be unable to improve themselves. Also, when this occur, students would not take studies seriously as they do not have any examinations, and would not need to worry about not being able to score well, or not being educated and unable to get a better job in the future. Thus, i strongly disagree with the motion " Should Examinations Be Abolished In Schools?"

kares(6)

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should examinations be abolished?

Post  nevin131 Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Hello everybody, this is Nevin from class 2/7E.
Today, I am going to talk about why examinations should be abolished. There are a couple of reasons why I think so. Firstly, examinations don't properly assess people's grasp of the subject. You can get higher/lower marks than you deserve. For example, a person who studied the day before an exam may get a better grade than a person who studied the entire month.

As the saying goes, "Grades do not represent intelligence,just like how age does not represent maturity".In today's society, it is very difficult to get a desired job if you did not get a degree or even a scholarship.A student can just rely on test-taking skills and memorization of formulas to ace in an exam, which is not fair to all students. Also, some students perform worse under a lot of stress and pressure than in other situations because examinations are a huge emotional burden to a student.
Some examinations may only require memorization which may be a huge problem in the progress of learning because a student may forget whatever he/she had learnt soon after. Schools should not judge the performance of that student because he did not do well in that few hours. If a student does not score well for an exam, he/she will feel very demoralized and depressed.

There are many ways to test on a student's knowledge on a certain topic other than examinations. For example, project works that require research or group activities may let every individual in a group feel useful and also develop team spirit at the same time. This would also help develop peer evaluation and encouragement to improve one's learning with one another. For example, a soldier who trains alone will not perform as well as a soldier who trains with his platoon.The stress from the assignment is also shared so it is more enjoyable as compared to stressful studying. Therefore, we can learn values of teamwork and leadership and enjoy our experiences with our group members in a fun way.

In a nutshell, I feel that examinations should be abolished because they are not an effective or efficient way to track our learning.

nevin131

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools?

Post  MUJEER Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:40 am

Hi everyone. I am Mujeer here. I am going to talk about the motion,"should examinations be abolished in schools?"
Examinations should never be abolished in any part of the world. Exams have been in schools ever since the very first civilisation. Why would you want to destroy the practice, that was around for centuries?
Examinations are very useful in every ways. Exams would tell a student where he stands after learning. Also when a student does not do well, he will learn from his mistakes and do well for the upcoming examinations. Exams are stepping stones for a child's future. It would decide what your future may be. Many say that exams are stressful. I do not deny this fact. If a student says this, he should be ashamed of himself. Why do you go to school then? You go to school to learn and test your understanding. But you do not go to school to be with friends or even worse, flirt. Anyway your lives are in your hands. You do what you like. If you make the wrong decision, you may consider it as doomsday.
In conclusion, exams can be like your friend or enemy. It depends on which way you look at it. So, I stand firm on this motion. Thank you.

MUJEER

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should Examination Be Abolished?

Post  wong wei ting Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi, I am wei ting from class 2E7. Today, i would be talking on the motion of " Should Examination be abolished?" Personally, i strongly disagree with this motion that examination should be abolished as examinations do have unlimited benefits that we students can have when we are doing the examinations.

Firstly, through examinations, pupils are being exposed to a variety of questions. Some of the questions might not be taught in lessons, thus pupils may use this chance to learn how to do and solve those questions. We are actually preparing ourselves for the national examinations thus by exposing ourselves to a variety of questions, we can somewhat know what type of questions can be asked during the national examinations. This allows the students to be mentally prepared too, telling them any type of questions can be asked in examinations.

Secondly, we students can know our strength and weakness on the particular subject. through examinations, different questions are asked. Pupils can know exactly which area are they weak in during the examinations and this allow them to improve on that area. And since the students work hard in that particular area, their results might improve.

Thirdly, teachers can know in which area are we exactly weak in through examinations. And they can improvised their teaching method based on the students need. This can enhance the whole learning process where pupils understand the topic better.

Thus, i do not support the motion due to the benefits i have listed above. Thank you!

wong wei ting

Back to top Go down

Post  JaimeWah Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:55 am

Hi, I'm Jaime Wah.

I'm going to express of views and opinions on whether examinations should be abolished in schools. I strongly feel that examinations should be abolished as examinations only involves memorizing.

Firstly, i realized that currently, most examinations only involves memorizing. It is especially unfair and it removes the whole purpose of having this examinations. For those students who had listened attentively in class but have poor memorizing skills, it would be extremely difficult for them to score well. While on the other hand, students who did not listen in class and have great memorizing skills, in turn, will be able to score better. That would be extremely unfair to the students who actually took the effort to listen in class, in hope of scoring better results. It will benefit those inattentive students instead. Therefore, examinations should be abolished as it is meaningless.

Many may say that examinations determines the future of a student. I strongly disagree with this point as examinations are not that important as it only involves memorizing. From memorizing, most students would not be able to gain the knowledge as at times, they may not even know what they are memorizing. I dare say that without examinations, students will still have a bright future as long as they remember what they have learnt in their schooling days. For those students who do not listen in class, when examinations are abolished and they have no other ways to show their ability, they will not have a bright future as they did not learn anything in school and thus, only when students work hard towards their goal, they will achieve it.

Last but not least, i feel that examinations should be abolished in schools. Thank You.

JaimeWah

Back to top Go down

Post  Celeste Ng Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi I'm Celeste here.
About whether Examinations should be abolished in schools,i think that i should not be abolished. Examinations is a time when students will be able to know which topic that they've learnt well and which topic that they've not. This is a great opportunity for them to gain more knowledge and clarify all the doubts they have towards the subject with their subject teacher. Examinations also have been a common practice for years to identify the students standards and abilities towards their studies.Especially when there's examinations,students will be more responsible in their studies example doing consistent revision,asking when in doubt and consistently handing in and doing their homework.With this kind of practice, it would be a good habit which makes them more responsible for themselves and their studies.Furthermore,teacher's will be able to identify the students weakness through the examinations and help them with it instead of not knowing and continue teaching the followed on topics when the students is in so much doubts and so confused towards the things that they're learning.This benefits the students alot too.
In short,i think that examinations should not be abolished as it do alot more benefits to the student as compared when there's no examinations. Thank You.

Celeste Ng

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should Examinations be Abolished In Schools?

Post  Jet New Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 am

Hello I am Jet New.
I am here to discuss about whether examinations should be abolished in schools. My answer to this question is no.
I feel that examinations will make people better at the subject. While the people are studying about the subject, they have a goal in mind, that is to score well for the examinations at the end. Since the contents tested at the examinations are random, people study everything, leading to people learning more. Since the examinations affects the overall grades, people study harder, and know where their position is. Another reason why people study is to compare their grades between one another. If there is competition, they, too will study harder. The teachers will know what points the students have not mastered and need to study further by knowing what the examinations will be tested. In today's society, stress and time management is very important. Preparing for examinations give people important practice in dealing with stress and time management, which can further help them later on with life's challenges. Students need examinations to act as a form of motivation to learn. If examinations were banned, many would become complacent and would not do their best.

Further more, the examination system itself has its own benefits. It is to let us know where we are and how good we fare in something that we do. The purpose of examinations has always been a test to let us know our limits and our standards.
Why does society today STILL has examinations? There must be a solid reason why examinations has not been abolished, after many countless debates about this topic. Who can put up his or her hand on their heart and say that they would have learnt the lessons regarding different subjects themselves if the present examination system were not there and did not make the students learn and understand the topics dealing with different subjects to perform at the end of the year? I strongly believe that NO ONE is able to do that.

Frankly speaking, who can put his/her hand on their heart and say that they would have learned the lessons regarding different subjects themselves if the present examination system were not there and didn't made the students to learn and understand the topics dealing with different subjects to perform at the end of the year. The ANSWER would be No, They wouldn't have.
Examinations are here for us to know how well we do, and not just making our parents and relatives happy and proud of us. Some may say how cheaters would score better at examinations, but in the end, they are the ones that will suffer in life.
Some people might say examinations should be abolished because it only tests our memorizing skills. I can say that the statement is not fully correct. I am a student myself, and I do memorize sometimes, but most of the time, I understand the points in the subject, and do not do much memorizing. The examinations give us a chance to apply the skills that we have understood.
What much use is an algebra question in society today? Do you use those skills in a hawker centre? No! The examinations give us a chance to apply our skills, and further interest us. Once we gets interested in these subjects, we will learn more about, for example, algebra, and slowly get the chance to use it in real life jobs.
Up until today, who has ever found another way to track our learning EFFICIENTLY and only TESTS what we understand and not what we memorized? Though reasons for banning examinations may be many, there remains one basic explanation as to why examinations have not been abolished. That is, all educational systems need a standardized method of testing the students’ understanding of what they have learned. No one has thought of a better substitute in that respect. Whether examinations test a student’s memory power or analytical power depends very much on the type of questions asked. Therefore, there is no need to abolish examinations. Rather, examinations could be set such that they truly test the student’s understanding.
In conclusion, it can be said that examinations should not, and will not be banned because of the need to assess a student’s ability. Thank you. Laughing

Jet New

Back to top Go down

Post  CheaSing Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 am

Hello everybody, this is Chea sing from class 2/7E.
Today, I am going to talk about why examinations should be abolished. There are a couple of reasons why I think so. Firstly, i think this way because exams do not show pratical skills needed in life,for instance instead of exams, people should be set problem solving. they are also not a true indication of how good you are at a subject e.g. if you lack written skills, for instance business studies requires a lot of writing and if you cannot write fast in the set time then you will score a low mark.And i also think that examinations requires a lot of memorizing. If this particular student is weak in memorizing skills, he or she will be at loss. He or she will not be able to score or achieve good grades during examination, and this will lead to the disappointed of their parents and teachers.
They will not be encouraged to be even better for the next exam and they will think that they did not do well enough to get good grades. But what if they had already done their best but still doesn't excel in the exams just because of their poor memorizing skills? Even without examinations, students will still be able to contribute well for the society in the future when they grew up. I can say that a lot of people will disagree to my point of view as they think that examinations are to prove to their parents and teachers that they understand the topic they're talking about. But what if this affects one's feeling when he or she did not do well for the examinations?There's a possibility that they'll turn intense and keep everything to themselves and end up being emotional.There's always a next solution to a problem. Students can still prove their intelligence in many other different way instead of just using examinations to prove it.
Last but not least, i feel that examinations should be abolished in schools. Thank You.

CheaSing

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Re: Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools?

Post  Hui Xin Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:59 am

Hi, I am Hui Xin.
Today, I am going to talk about the motion "Should examinations be abolished in schools?". I strongly agree that examinations should be abolished.

Firstly, examinations are being conducted to test the students' understanding and how much they had absorbed from the lessons. However, this will only cause the students to be stressful and add on to their burden. The students have large amount of homework daily and so by having examinations, they will need to spend extra time on studying. They wil then have lesser time spent on outdoor activities or hindering them from doing what they wanted to do.

Secondly, examinations only involves memorising and determines a student's intelligence instead of his or her effort. It is unfair for those students with poor memorising, who perform badly under stress or simply a slow learner. For example, a student who is a fast learner but does not pay attention in class yet getting high marks. On the other hand, a student who is a slow learner paid fullest attention in class, in turn,get low marks. That's really unfair for those students who listened attentively in class and struggle to score well. This shows that examinations are meaningless as it will only benefit those students who do not pay attention.

In addition, a person’s characters are much more important than his or her results. If examinations are being conducted this way, then we are trying to say that a person with bad attitude is considered as a successful person as long as he or she produced a good results. By having examinations, students and their parents tend to overlook this point and they will be concentrated in getting good results than building up a good personality. Being knowledgable is important but that's not everything. When we went into society to work, we are not only require to have a certificate but also other criterial like communication skills. Thus, it's perfectly alright to score badly because as long as you have the right attitude, I believe that you will be able to achieve your goal.

In conclusion, examinations should be abolished in schools. Thank you.

Hui Xin

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should Examinations be Abolished?

Post  Yogeswaran Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:27 am

Hello everybody, I am D.Yogeswaran. I am here to discuss about today's motion and I strongly disagree to it. Now imagine yourself boarding a plane but before you board the customs officer asks you for your boarding pass but you don't have it with you. Subsequently you are not allowed on the plane. Our lives work just as similar. When we don't have our exam transcripts with us how can we assure our boss that we are qualified to do the job?

Examinations have a very useful purpose. They gauge our knowledge on various subjects whether if we have understood the subject or not. It can also determine the field of work you might work in the future. For example if you are good in chemistry, you might want to consider a career as a doctor.

Also examinations makes a child study. I mean come on which child can honestly say he still studies even if he doesn't have exams? No one. You see if we don't have examinations then no one,trust me, will be educated to his or her best potential. Now Singapore has a pragmatic society. We are categorized based on our merits. And also the standard of living here is exceptionally high. So how do we deal with these issues? Well in Singapore you would need the '5Cs' to get you respect and live well. The 5Cs are cash,credit card,car,condo and country club. And in order to get all these 'Cs' one must have the first 'C' which is certificate and once again I repeat certificate equals exam transcripts.

According to PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) Singapore is ranked No.2 in Maths, No.4 in Physics,Chemistry and Biology and No.5 in reading. Now what can we infer from this? We can infer that because of examinations we have done well. Most schools give test to gain ones' level. Examinations also create competition which can motivate a student to do even better,to desire for more.

Now many students complain that examinations infuse stress. But this is false. Why do they feel stressed up then? That's because they do last-minute revision which should be avoided. Thus because of this, examinations in a way can teach students time-management skills while taking the test and preparing for the test.
So to summarize what I have just addressed to you, examinations are gauges for us to know where we stand and how we are doing. Hence examinations should not be abolished. Thank you and have a nice day ahead.

Yogeswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  Nur Firdaus Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:16 am

Hello everyone, my name is Firdaus from class 2E7. Today I am talk about why examinations should be abolished in schools. There are many reasons of why examinations should be abolished in schools.

One of them is that you will be less stress if examinations is abolished as you will not have to study hard and even sometimes stress yourself. For example, a person got really stress of revising for their examinations and instead of getting higher grades, that person got a lower grade as he/she pressured him/herself too much on revision. Some of them also could not cope up with the school as examinations is putting pressure on them.

Another reason is that, I think that if we do our own researches or self learning will make students better at research skills, these abilities are useful forever and best learnt when young. Having examinations does not mean that it will make our studies good and have more knowledge.

In conclusion, I think the examinations should be abolished in schools as it is not that effective enough to the students. Thank you.

Nur Firdaus

Back to top Go down

Post  aimanzari Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:52 am

Hello everybody,I am Aiman from class 2/7. I am going to talk about whether examinations should be abolished in schools. I think that examinations should not be abolished as it will help students in a lot of things. Examination lets students see what subject they are good or bad at. By knowing which subject they did weakly on,they will find help from teachers so that they can fully understand the subject and get more knowledge. Mistakes that they made will not be repeated during the next examination. Students will also know when to apply things that they have learned in class. Without examinations,students might apply the wrong things at the wrong time which might cause them failure. Examinations will help students know their standard of studying and understanding a subject. Examinations also let students get in their desired jobs so that they will be satisfied by what they get rather than working for a job that they dislike for their whole life.

In conclusion,examinations will help students in many ways without them realizing it and it should not never be abolished.Thank you.

aimanzari

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should examinations be abolished

Post  Zong Yi Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:13 am

Hello, I am Chua Zong Yi from class 2/7. I am here to talk about the motion"Examinations should be abolished" as i think that examinations just gives stress to the students and also make the parents worried about their children. This make them mentally depressed about their examinations regarding their marks, not only that if they get low marks their parents would use physical punishment or even harsh words to scold their children this would cause a strain in their relationship.
Examinations could not correctly prove if a student study. As examinations have limited questions in them and if the student did a last minute revision they might have score high marks for exams. But for some of the students did their revision throughout the whole year yet they did not get high marks. So examinations should be abolished as not to give the wrong info to the teachers about which student study and not study. Also it is unfair to students who really work hard but get low mark because of they could not memorise the things in the textbook or what the teacher had taught and also not being able to handle stress.
Examinations simply is a waste of time. Why? because that examinations mainly need lots of time like 1 hour, 2 hours. This time would rather let teachers teach their student on the subjects and would benefit them further. Using them on exam is just waste of the student time , students came to school to learn not to waste their time gauging what they have learned. Learning is forever even u gauged what u learned but there are still things that u need to learn so we should use time to learn things what we have not learn but not to prove what we had learn.
In conclusion, I think since examinations are giving students stress and also making parents worried about their child. Also giving the wrong info about the students effort in studying and also wasting the students time. So i think that today motion must not stand. Examinations must be abolished. Hereby, I thank you!

Zong Yi

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should examinations be Abolished in Schools

Post  Lin XQ27 Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 am

Hello, I am Lin XiongQing from class 2-7. I am here to talk about the motion “Should examinations be Abolished in Schools.’ And my opinion is examinations should be abolished. The reason is because I think that examinations will make the student to feel stress and affect student’s mood in their daily life.

Student will normally feel stress when exams are coming. In this period they have to prepare for the exam, they will have a difficult time to sleep at night and they can not eat well for a meal. As they are not sleeping and eating well, their body will get sick easily and can not do the exam well. Moreover, as they have to study for exam, they do not have the time to excise and this will affect their health.

No just before the exam, student will also have problem after the exam. Now days parents like to compare the children’s result. If their child have a lower than their friends, the child may get scolded. This make student to worry for their result after the exam and it affect the student’s mood in their daily life.

In conclusion, I think examinations should be abolished in school and this decision gives the student a healthier and happier life. Thank you.

Lin XQ27

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty SHOULD EXAMINATIONS BE ABOLISHED

Post  YongYu31 Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:19 am

Good morning everyone. My name is YONG YU, representing class 2/7.The motion of today’s debate is “Should examinations be abolished in school” In my point of view, I strongly agree that examinations should be abolished in school!

Firstly, the approach of present examination systems means the beginning of fear, tension, anxiety and stress in the minds of the students under which if a student doesn't performs according to his/her parents expectations may lead to students even taking the extreme step of ending their life by doing suicide.

Secondly, some people also think that exams are not a reliable test of gauging the ability of the students as luck plays a major role. It is impossible to set the questions at the same difficulty every year, if it is easier, he will score higher. It is possible to study the tested subjects for the exam then forget everything and yet score high marks.

Therefore, I question that I want to ask you is, “What’s the point of having examinations, when it causes many negative impact?? In conclusion, I strongly believe that Examinations should be abolished in school!!

YongYu31

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should examinatons be abolished in schools?

Post  s9815707g Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Good morning/afternoon/evening teachers and fellow friends . I am Ashraf from class 2/7 . I am here today to talk about the motion ' Should examinations be abolished in schools?' First of all , i would like to say that i strongly disagree with the idea of abolishing exams eventhough they are troublesome for students and even teachers . Here are my reasons why examinations should not be abolished in schools .

Firstly , examinations are part and parcel of school . You come to study in schools . You want to know where you stand . You want to know how good or how bad you are at your academics . So , what is the use of going to school , studying but there is no exam to test you ?

That brings me to my next point . Without the presence of examinations , students would be much more lazy . They would not feel the importance or even the need to study . They might drop out of school or not care about the slightest thing that concerns school . Students also would give up easily because there is not a need for them to understand something and be good at it . This not only affects the students . It affects the teachers , the parents , the community and the country .

If examinations are abolished , teachers would not feel the need to teach students until they understand a certain topic . It makes their work easier . But , for teachers who are committed in teaching , they would be getting a rough time trying to teach the students . These teachers would then feel they are not qualified for teaching . This would bring their morale down . This might even break their ambition .

In conclusion , abolishing examinations would have more negative impacts compared to positive impacts . So i stress my point , i repeat it , Examinations should not be abolished in schools .

s9815707g

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Whether examinations should be abolished in schools.

Post  Meghan Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Hello, this is Meghan from class 2/7 express. I strongly believe that examinations should not be abolished.

Examinations have been around for as long as anyone can remember. Examinations have been used in primary schools, secondary schools, junior colleges, polytechnics, so on and so forth. It should not just disappear from our society.
I believe and feel that examinations help us get better in the subject. By taking examinations, our teachers may help us to improve our grades, and help us correct our mistakes. When taking an examination, our goal is to score high grades, and to make our teachers, parents and peers proud of us. As many different questions may come out on the examination, students are urged to study more, learn more. There are many reasons why students want to score high grades. One of the many reasons which I experience time and again is because of competition. Students like to fight against each other to get higher grades on their examinations, as many students today, even though we do not like to admit things, are quite arrogant.

Now, examinations also give us a chance to apply what we have learnt in school, and apply it in real life. Also, don't examinations drive us to understand what the teachers are teaching.
I've even heard a student, back in primary school say, "I don't like to study! It's irritating. I'll just cheat." Now, some people think that cheating is an easier way to make parents and teachers proud, but that's actually. The cheaters are the ones who would be suffering. Not only they might get caught, but they won't actually learn anything from the entire experience. See, the things we learn earlier in life help us to get THROUGH life. Just think about it. When we go to kindergarten, and learn simple English, and simple Mathematics, that got us through primary one, right? So basically our knowledge would keep building up and up, helping us to get through life. Also, have you ever thought about it? In Mathematics, for example, they base some problems on real life situations. See, we can use those skills in real life! So examinations are actually really helpful.
Examinations are all based on one's understanding of a formula, topic, or subject. So if we understand more, we would be able to get higher grades, and hence we would be able to apply our skills in real life. Some people might think, "What? How is algebra supposed to help me? Like if I were a hawker?" Now, not all jobs involve skills like that. Many jobs involve many different topics.
There may be many reasons by students why they think examinations should be abolished, but this one reason rises high above all, in terms of importance: Examinations are the only way of determining the students understanding the subject.

I would like to say once again, I stand firm by my idea, we should not abolish school examinations. Thank you for your attention. Very Happy

Meghan

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should Examinations be abolished in school

Post  Cue Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Izzah(14) 2/7
Good morning Mrs Sng, teachers and fellow students.I am a representative from 2/7, here to express my opinion whether examinations should be abolished. As a student myself, I strongly believe that major examinations should be eradicated.Now,I shall move on to my first substantives for the day.

This word could make a happy and cheerful student turn into a wreck in just one day. Exams. Exams have absolutely prove itself as a lethal weapon to students.As a result, this causes the student to be stressed before and after the exams itself. Before the exams, I am sure that most students will be extremely stressed out . Thus, they will most probably burn the midnight oil to study topics and cause the student to fall sick or suffer from sleep deprivation. It can even result to disastrous outcomes such as harming his/her self and worse,suicide. This also applies after the exams. A student may not achieve his/ her desirable results or the high expectations setted by their parents. Hence, the student will be depressed or afraid to face their parents. With all these factors in mind, it is obvious that examinations does not enhance the journey of learning, but hinder it instead.

As a fellow student myself, every student had come across this scenario before. When a particular student score highest in the class, even without lifting a finger, it definitely will spark off a sense of jealousy between the students.As a result , they will become competitive .Hence, they will only try to beat the top scorers and not focuse on the main point of attending school, to actually gain knowledge and understand what is being taught. In conclusion, this competitive environment is not a condusive one to study in.

Even so, I believe there is still some good left in examinations. However, I suggest an alternate arrangement that will help to lessen the immense pressure on the students. I suggest projects that require the teachers to assess students in oral and physical practices such as presentations and Science practical tests. I also suggest to have class tests that only test student based on a particular topic so the student can prepare for the test better thus the student will get better results. It is also because a major exam may not cover all topics that being taught. Hence, the suggestions I have stated will make the assessment of students much fairer.

With that, I strongly believe examinations should be abolished due to the fact that it causes harm in the emotional and physical being of the student and a competitive environment that will affect the learning process.I have also stated alternative arrangements that could be implemented to make assessments of students better. With that, I thank you.

Cue

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should examinations be abolished??

Post  Masyitah Shakirah Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Good morning everyone.My name is Masyitah.I am going to talk about whether examinations should be abolished.In my honest opinion,I think that examinations should not be abolished.

My first reason is because through examinations,students can know their level of understanding towards a certain topic of a subject.They will then approach their teachers if they know their weaknesses and if they need help in certain topics.After that,the students would be able to score well in their upcoming examinations.they would also be proud of themselves if they are one of the top scorers in their schools.

Exams is also a form of encouragement for students to study harder and get better results for the coming examinations.I am sure the students would want to be the same standard as their friends.Without examinations,students will be lazy to study and they would not be bothered to do all the homework given by their teachers.As examination results will be printed out on a sheet of paper and parents have to sign on it,the students would surely try and do their best in every examinations because they do not want to get scoldings from their parents and want to make them proud.

Even though I feel that examinations should not be abolished,I think that the number of examinations given per year to the students should decrease.This is so that the students would not feel stress as they need to rush through their revisions for a lot of subjects.The teachers would also have time to let their students understand the subject better until the whole class is ready to move on to the next topic.

In conclusion,I strongly believe that examinations should not be abolished because it can train the students to plan theri time well and be disciplined.However the amount of examinations given should be reduced so that it would not cause the students to be stress because they came to school to study,not to cramp their brains with a lot of things in just a few months before the examinations.With that,I thank you.

Masyitah Shakirah

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Re: Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools?

Post  JunYe Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:06 am

Hello everybody, this is JunYe from class 2/7E.

Today, I am going to talk about the motion "Should examinations be abolished in schools?". I strongly agree that examinations should be abolished. There are a few reasons on why examinations should be abolished in schools.

Firstly , as we all know examinations are used to test on students to let the teachers and students know how well they are in a particular subject. Students might be misled by parents that examinations will definitely make life-long changes to their life and hence , putting students under tremendous stress and unable to concentrate while learning or revising.

Secondly , as most students are concerned about the grades they get and thus causing them to be over-reacting when they get disappointed in their grades. They might be under depression and emotionally unstable. Students in this state tend to become short-tempered with either their work or their fellow classmates and even the teachers are being used to vent anger on.

In conclusion, I think the examinations should be abolished in schools as it is not that effective enough to let the students concentrate and learn. Thank you.

JunYe

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should Examinations be abolished?

Post  BryanSim Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Hello everybody, I am Bryan from class 2/7. I am here today to talk about the motion, ' Should examinations be abolished in schools? ' I agree that examinations should be abolished. I will state a few reasons on why examinations should be abolished in schools.

Firstly, examinations may put students under tremendous stress as if students do not do well in the examination, parents might scold them when they bring the papers back home for parent's signature. As a result, students may study very hard to avoid their parents' scolding.

Secondly, Students may not really benefit from the examination as some students only memorise the things that are tested on the examination and after the examination, they would forget they had memorise as they need to memorise things tested on the next examination.

Lastly, I think that examinations should be changed to surprise tests as surprise tests would not give students to memorise the things tested and this would mean that the students have to use their knowledge that they have.

In conclusion, I think that examinations should be abolished in schools as it put students under tremendous stress and while students are in great stress, some of them do not really benefit from the examination. Thank you.

BryanSim

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty Should Examinations be abolished in schools ?

Post  Liyana Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Good morning teachers and fellow students. I am Liyana representing 2/7, and I strongly believe that examinations should be abolished in schools. Firstly, students get stressed whenever examinations are around. They might stay up late, or skip meals just to revise for their upcoming examinations. This is unhealthy for the students as the body would not get enough rest and nutrients, and there's a likely chance that the students might get sick. Also, students are stressed after the examinations too because they will worry about what score they are going to get. Also, knowing students these days, we are very competitive. We always want to be the top. An over-competitive environment is not a good place for students to learn, because then, all they want to do is to be the top. This is bad because is defeats the purpose of going to school in the first place, and that is to learn and gain knowledge. Also, students might not need to even pay attention during lessons and still get a high score. All they need to do is to memorise all thier notes given by their teachers, memorise information from their textbooks as nowdays examination is really about memorising. Students would then have a mindset that they can score well, even without paying attention in class.

Just to summarise the points, the mindset, and an over-competitive is bad for students, because they will not really achieve the main goal, and that is to, again, gain knowledge.
So I would like to end off my speech by saying that examinations should be abolished in schools.

Liyana

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty red

Post  weefa Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:09 am

ur gay

weefa

Back to top Go down

Should Examinations be Abolished in Schools? Empty wgn

Post  038944 Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:48 am

exams are a no no , now stop doin all this mass debating

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum